How great does it feel to be on the receiving end of genuine acknowledgement and recognition?
Saying "thank you" builds trust and forms bonds between people. It's vital to show appreciation and gratitude for the people in your life.
That said, traditionally, the workplace was not an environment to give and receive gratitude and praise.
But now, times have changed. The nature of work has changed. The customs and conventions that applied to factory workers of the 1900's no longer apply in modern work environments.
Bottom line: The importance of employee recognition cannot be denied, especially when it comes to building well-rounded work cultures and environments.
That said, you may be unsure of the exact reasons to give employees recognition or what to say to employees when giving recognition and praise. Here are some examples of short words of praise for various scenarios that come up at work.
Whether your company already has a recognition program in place or simply a "recognition" channel in Slack (or your chat app of choice), these positive words will motivate employees.
Feel free to tweak and tailor the message to better resonate with the employee you have in mind. The most powerful and genuine words of recognition are always personalized.
Message Examples for Employee Appreciation and Recognition
1 - Acknowledging top performance
- We are consistently amazed by your performance. Keep up the great work!
- Companies dream of hiring employees like you. Thank you for all your hard work.
- It’s incredible to see you consistently pushing the bar.
- You’re an inspiration to us all! Your outstanding performance helped push up our company revenues to greater heights. Thank you!
- We’d like to congratulate and acknowledge the tremendous success you’ve achieved!
- The results you have achieved are impressive. We are so grateful to have someone like you on our team who is willing to go above and beyond to achieve such great success for our team.
2 - Acknowledging specific goal attainment
- As a result of your hard work, our entire team move forward with our long-term mission faster than anticipated. Thank you!
- I’d like to recognize the entire team for surpassing their goals for the quarter! Their hard work is turning into tangible profits for our team and company!
- You’ve been working so hard towards this, and we’ve noticed! Congrats on your outstanding work.
- We are continually impressed by the results you produce! You play a crucial role in our team and the company’s success.
- It’s been a long time working towards accomplishing this, and you’ve exceeded our expectations at every step. Thank you for doing your best every day!
3 - Acknowledging attitudes and soft skills
- Thank you for bringing a smile to everyone on the team; it always boosts our spirits when we need it most.
- Your consistent positive attitude has made a huge difference in our team. Thank you for being you.
- Thank you for always being the first to volunteer a helping hand. We couldn’t do it without you.
- We wanted to let you know that having you on our team makes all the difference. Thanks for all you do.
- Employees like you make the organization what it is today. Thank you for bringing your best to work every single day.
4 - Acknowledging work anniversaries and milestones
- I can’t believe how fast time flies by! We appreciate your loyalty to us. We couldn’t ask for anyone better.
- It’s been an incredible ride these X few years. One thing we know for sure, we couldn’t have made it this far without you!
- We are so grateful for having you these past X years, looking forward to celebrating more years to come!
- It feels like yesterday you came onto our team. We appreciate all the hard work and talent you’ve brought to the team.
- Congratulations on achieving this anniversary! We know you have worked hard for this accomplishment, and we truly appreciate your dedication.
5 - Acknowledging dedication and work ethic
- Reliability is hard to come by. Thank you for being someone we can always count on! I’m so grateful for all of your hard work. The entire team thanks you for everything you do.
- It’s rare to come across people who are so dedicated and trustworthy. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed.
- Thank you for your help and support. You are really an asset to the team and the organization.
- Your work ethic and involvement are admirable, and we are fortunate to have someone as dedicated as you onboard!
6 - Acknowledging unique skills and insights
- Thank you for bringing your X skills to the table. This has helped us advance the goals of the entire team.
- Your expertise about X has provided us with valuable insight, which helped grow and push our team’s objective forward. Thank you!
- You always think of new and different ways of approaching a problem; your unique perspective is a tremendous asset to our team.
- My words can never be enough to praise your actions; the work and talent you bring to the table always exceed my expectations. Thank you.
7 - Acknowledging initiative-taking and industriousness
- Thank you for always bringing new ideas to the table. You’re willing to speak up and share our ideas to help bring out the best in our team and our work to the next level!
- I want to thank you for always being willing to go the extra mile to deliver impeccable work. You are always proactive, accountable for your work, and willing to support those around you when needed.
- Your work ethic is unsurpassed. Your passion and ambition are infectious, and your willingness to go the extra mile rubs off on the entire team and has a tangible impact on our results. Thank you!
8 - Acknowledging the embodiment of company values
- Our company stands behind its value of [insert value]; we couldn’t think of someone who embodies this value more than you. Thank you!
- The way you represent our company value of [insert value] is apparent to everyone. Thank you for being such a great example of what it means to work for [company name.]
- We have held the company value of [insert value] since the beginning. We see you living that value every day and through your work, and we wanted to acknowledge that we see your effort and are so thankful.
3 Quick Tips for Giving Impactful Recognition
We hope these recognition message examples serve as a strong jump-off point for giving praise to your employees or peers.
But an important thing to remember is the best recognition should always be personalized – never generic.
In that spirit, here are some proven quick tips to give better recognition at work:
- Recognize frequently: Studies show that giving recognition at least 1X per month strongly impacts employee morale and engagement.
- Be specific: Recognition should be tied to a specific accomplishment and include words that highlight the unique qualities of the employee.
- Add some variety: Avoid overusing one type of recognition. For example, it’s ok to give quick “good jobs,” but it’s also important to give more thoughtful recognition when it’s warranted.
In closing, we would like to say that we realize that growing appreciation in the workplace can be difficult; many obstacles stand in the way. Changing your habits can be tricky!
Our best suggestion to get started: don't get too bogged down in the details. Just start somewhere. In the end, saying something is better than nothing. We promise that, over time, giving impactful recognition will be second nature.